Burke citizens preparing for a bus trip to the Rio Grande Valley
L-R: unknown, unknown, C. B. Fairchild, Elma Fairchild, unknown, unknown, unknown, Roy Treadwell, unknown, Bill Burrous, unknown, unknown,unknown, unknown, unknown.
Note: If you can identify any othe above people, please notify the author.
- Ashworth Family - early settlers in Pine Valley and ancestors of many Ashworths in Burke
- Burrous Family - Angelina County pioneers and early Burke area family that included blacksmith William (Bill) Burrous
- Johnson - Patrick Johnson was a pioneer cattleman at Pine Valley who arrived before 1850
- Squyres Family - Pioneer Angelina County family with early Burke and Pine Valley ties.
- Arrington Family - brothers from Mississippi who were prominent in early Burke
- Belote - Harvey Belote owned much of the farmland that became downtown Burke and operated a store for many years.
- Crager Family
- Fairchild Family - pioneering Angelina County family, including early sheriff William Henry Fairchild, who arrived before 1856 and settled northwest of Burke. Descendants later owned much of Bradley Prairie.
- Glass Family - came to Burke with Harvey Belote
- Guinn Family - Leonidas Guinn was a major land owner in the Burke area, and his daughter Nannie Guinn Belote inherited the land on which the town of Burke was later located.
- Landrum Family
- McCall Family- prominent early settlers and landowners.
- McCarty Family - prominent early settlers and landowners with many family connections in the community.
- Ryan Family - Isaac and John Ryan were founders of Ryan Chapel Methodist Church before Burke was founded.
- Jeptha Smith Family - early resident of Pine Valley and founding member of Ryan Chapel Church.
- Weeks Family - settled in the Ryan Chapel area about the same time as the Ryans
- Burke Family - Arthur Lee Burke was a partner with Daniel McCall in the Burke and McCall store.
- Conner Family
- Curry Family - family of Dr. Benjamin Curry, early Burke physician.
- Havard Family - several members of the pioneering Havard family lived at Burke,including S. J. Havard, who was a co-founder of Burke School.
- Johnston Family - Wade Johnston was Burke's dentist and watchmaker.
- Mantooth Family - William Mantooth was Burke postmaster in the late 1890s.
- McMickle Family - Homer McMickle was an early Burke postmaster.
- Riley Family - Early owner of Burke and McCall Store
- Spivey Family - Dr. Thomas Sherwood Spivey was an early Burke physician and grandfather of Lufkin physician Dan Spivey.
- Treadwell Family - Pioneer businessmen and cattlemen.
- Stovall - David M. Stovall was postmaster at Rhodes in 1886.
- Vinson Family
- Weisinger Family - Early settlers and later store owners.
- Baker Family
- Bell Family
- Clark Family - Nobia Clark Campbell was a notary public in Burke
- Courtney Family
- Dubose (Dr.) Family - Dr. Dubose practiced in Burke for a short time around 1910.
- Forsythe Family
- Franklin Family
- Harris Family
- Henington Family
- Holder Family
- Ivy Family
- William Johnson Family
- Keen Family
- Kellow Family - Earl Kellow owned a garage that later became Bob Weisinger's Gulf station
- Kirk Family
- Largent Family - Several branches of this Lufkin area family settled in Burke.
- Lee Family - family included Jake Lee long time school bus driver who lived adjacent Burke School
- McClendon Family
- McKinney Family - Matt and Felicia Mckinney
- Murrah Family - arrived after 1900 from Walker County
- Neyland Family - arrived in Angelina County about 1860 from Louisiana
- B. L. Parrish Family - Hamilton and Hollis Parrish ran a serice station in Burke in the 1920s
- Wesley Parrish Family - Lizzie Parrish was Burke Substation Postmistress
- Rush Family - Zusle Rush, Jr. was mayor of Burke
- Pate Family
- Spears - Jim Spears was a promient Burke merchant
- Thigpen Family - Hillary Thigpen was a Burke farmer
- Tidwell Family - Alf Tidwell was a Burke political leader
- Travis - Jim and Abbie Travis were long time teachers at Burke School
- Waltman Family
- Whitehead Family
- Ed Williams Family
- T. C. Williams Family
- Wood Family - Dr. G. B. Wood was the last physician to practice in Burke