Dr. Giles Benjamin Wood

Dr. Giles Benjamin Wood (sometimes spelled "Woods") was the last physician to practice in Burke. He and his family lived in a home in south Burke at the corner of Johnston Lane and Ryan Chapel (Delaney Crossing) Road across from the house built by his father-in-law, Malcom Currie. He was born in Texas about 1861, and his parents were from Alabama.

From 1900 until after 1920 Dr. Wood lived in Precinct 8 and then Precinct 6. It appears that he moved to Burke after 1920 and remained there until after 1930. Wood was 69 at the time and presumably died in the 1930s. In 1920 Mr. Currie was living with the Wood family.

Dr. Woods and his first wife, Mary, had the following children: Johnie (1885); Fred (1889); Giles Benjamin, Jr. (1892); James F. (895); and Aubrin (or Osborne) ( 1899).

Mary apparently died by 1910, and after 1910 Wood married Agnes Currie, daughter of Burke resident Malcom H. Currie, the daughter of Malcom Henry Curry and Nancy Ezell McCall. They had the following children: Woodrow (1916); and Mary Evelyn (1919) and Suzette (1921).

 

Sources:

  1. 1930 Census, Angelina County, Texas, Precinct 4, Page 7, Dwelling 80 (Dr. G. B. Woods)